Primary Practice Areas:
Admiralty and Maritime Law
Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
J.D., University of Mississippi, 1996
M.B.A., University of Mississippi, 1992
B.B.A., University of Mississippi, 1989
Robert P. Vining is a partner in the Firm's Houston office. His practice includes Litigation, Regulatory Compliance and Transactions (M&A). He has provided representation in Admiralty and General Maritime Law; Jones Act; Bankruptcy; Commercial Litigation; Construction; Environmental Law; Labor and Employment Law; Oil and Gas; Premises Liability; Products Liability; Regulatory Compliance; Toxic Torts; Commercial Transactions and Mergers and Acquisitions.
He has been engaged in the following activities:
· First and second chair for jury and bench trials, argued motions, and briefed and argued appeals before federal and state courts throughout Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
· Conducted numerous depositions, including those of plaintiffs, fact witnesses, corporate representatives, physicians, and experts.
· Handled claims asserted under the Jones Act, Admiralty and General Maritime Law, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Title VII, WARN Act, Oil Pollution Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
· Represented clients during EEOC, OSHA, US Army Corps of Engineers, BSEE, and US Coast Guard investigations and regulatory compliance review, including federal and state energy regulation.
· Represented creditors in several complex bankruptcies, including serving on unsecured creditors’ committee.
· Negotiated and drafted master service agreements, drilling contracts, construction contracts, access agreements, leases, and rental agreements as well as articles of incorporation, operating agreements, and other business-related documentation.
· Handled from start to finish commercial sales and transactions, including both small and large mergers and acquisitions.
· Panel member for CLEs and maritime presentations.
State Bar of Texas
Louisiana State Bar Association
The Mississippi Bar
Maritime Law Association of the United States
Awards & Recognitions
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
U.S. District Courts for the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of Louisiana
U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi